Date: August 14, 2019
From: The ADVANCE Grant Program team
To: All participating Michigan University technology transfer offices
Subject: Funds are Available, Second Funding Cycle
The ADVANCE Grant Program’s second funding cycle for $500,000 started April 1, 2019 and goes through March 31, 2020 for commitment of funds and through March 31, 2021 for completion of the projects.
MSU has funds available and we are accepting proposals. There are funds available now for at least 15 grants of $40,000 ($20,000 MEDC; $20,000 matching). As projects from the first funding cycle are closing, any unspent funds will be moved to the second funding cycle and will be available for additional funding. We will keep you informed as these funds become available in the future.
The ADVANCE Grant Advisory Team met on May 21, 2019. The following updates and suggestions come from that meeting:
- ensure the proposal’s scope of work is for early stage funding with commercial potential not an extension of basic research. Greater care is needed to avoid overlap of ADVANCE and MTRAC awards with ADVANCE coming first. The ADVANCE grant should be completed prior to the start of the MTRAC grant;
- proposals $20-$25,000 ($40,000 - $50,000 total project costs);
- define milestones that once successfully completed can lead to a follow-on funding including MTRAC;
- limit travel expenses to $3,000-$5,000 and ensure they are directly related to the project and the completion of milestones. Details should be provided in the proposal (what, where, why and when), be prepared to report out on travel outcomes. Anything over $5,000 will need prior approval from the program.
- limit no cost extensions – will only be approved for extenuating circumstances and they will be limited to one per project for no more than three months;
- set proposal start dates to be at least two months out from the date of the proposal submission to MSU. Make sure the project period you are suggesting is long enough for the milestones in the project to be successfully completed. Suggested project periods are 6 to 12 months.
Thanks for your participation in this important translational research program. If you have any questions, please contact me at, firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-884-1605.
Ann C. Spalding
ADVANCE Grant Program Manager
cc: Denise Graves